Mexico City, 7-10 November 2018
The Fourth Beckett Society Conference will take place in Mexico City, on 7-10 November 2018. ‘Transdisciplinary Beckett’ is especially interested in recognising the role that radio, television, theatre, music, the arts, sciences, and technologies play in Beckett Studies.
Samuel Beckett is a precursor in the creation of transdisciplinary works. He travelled between languages [English-French-German], genres [narrative, poetry, theatre, essay], and media [radio, television, cinema]. His work has been studied and applied across different perspectives and disciplines, ranging from literature, philosophy, and media, to political sciences, music, and contemporary art practices. Carrying out a transdisciplinary approach allows us to re-conceptualize Beckett as an author who found in different technologies and electronic languages new ways to think about our present time.
This conference will open up a space for specialists [humanities, arts, and sciences] to present their research findings, as well as new ground in which we visualize Beckett as an author that can, and should be studied beyond the confines of a single discipline.
We encourage submissions focused on, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Samuel Beckett and Language [writings, texts, code, expanded literature]
- Samuel Beckett and Contemporary Art Practices [hybrids, digital arts, music and sound practices]
- Samuel Beckett and Politics [history, sovereignty, state of exception, liberties, democracy vs totalitarian regimes, gender politics].
- Samuel Beckett and the Body [biology, neurosciences, medicine, illness, disability, sexuality]
- Samuel Beckett and Media [analogue and digital: radio, television, film]
- Samuel Beckett and Technologies [machines, Artificial Intelligence, prosthetic technologies, the post-human body]
- Samuel Beckett and Theory [philosophy, theory: digital humanities, media archaeology]
- Samuel Beckett [in] Mexico and Latin America [practitioners, actors, producers, artists in general that have produced Beckett’s work in Mexico and Latin America]
There is no fee for attending this conference. English and Spanish are the official languages of the conference. All abstracts and papers should be sent in English or Spanish. There will be simultaneous translation into English and Spanish only.
‘Transdisciplinary Beckett’ 4th Samuel Beckett Society annual conference welcomes the following submissions:
ACADEMIC: papers, panels, and roundtables for double-blind peer review.
PRESENTATIONS AND DIALOGUES: in the form of artist or practitioner talks and conversation sessions.
Proposals should be sent in two files, one should include author’s name, institutional affiliation (if any), email address, together with a paper title, abstract of 300 words and short biographical information of 100 words.
Since proposals will be double-blind peer-reviewed, we kindly ask you to remove any author name and identifying information from the second file.
Proposals should be sent by 25 March 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries can be made at the same e-mail address.
Proposals should be formatted according to the APA journal style.
Deadline for proposals March 25, 2018.
Notification of acceptance by April 30, 2018.
Full papers to be sent by September 30, 2018. This is essential to the process of simultaneous translation.
- Daniela Caselli [The University of Manchester]
- Nicholas Johnson [Trinity College Dublin]
- Lucas Magarit [Universidad de Buenos Aires]
- Luz María Sánchez Cardona [Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, L]
The conference is organized by the Department of Arts and Humanities, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (UAM), Lerma campus. With the support of Coordinación General de Difusión Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (UAM) and Coordinación de Difusión Cultural of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).
About the Samuel Beckett Society
The Samuel Beckett Society is an international organization of scholars, students, directors, actors and others who share an interest in the work of Samuel Beckett. Honorary Trustees are Edward Beckett, John Calder, J. M. Coetzee, Martha Dow Fehsenfeld, Lois More Overbeck, John Fletcher and James Knowlson.
The Samuel Beckett Society holds an annual conference, which aims at exploring different perspectives from which the Beckett oeuvre can be analysed and forging new critical and creative ways to engage with his work. The Society makes it its priority to offer, whenever possible, postgraduate travel bursaries to Early Career Researchers. This scheme will be advertised at the beginning of March.
You can Join the Samuel Beckett Society by visiting our Join page.
Conference email address: email@example.com